Thursday, October 2, 2014

Starting Out

So today I finally activated my account offering private practice for psychotherapy. Yippee!

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/211999

It's exciting to spend so much time thinking about what I do and how I do it. I realize that my specialty is really making change happen. No matter what area of problem brought to me by a new client, I sit and listen, and find a way to help that individual see the situation in a new way. I get so excited when I see the client make that shift. It's usually obvious to me when that happens, and I aim for one of those "clicks" in every session. Maybe just a little click, but a shift in a new direction.

To do this really requires good listening, and an ability to see the client where they are at. I think my many years of experience doing this for myself in meditation practice really helps here. I try to listen for what's not being said. I try to see the whole system where the individual operates and how the last  sentence fits into everything else. It really is about "beginner's mind" with every sentence uttered by the client in front of me.

So it's interesting to ask myself how I'm special and why someone would choose me over some other therapist. How do I relay my openness to others? How can I show that I'm interested in what they have to say? I'm convinced it's not through spouting therapy models or training credentials. I have all those, as does everyone else. But what really matters is that I can bring my heart and mind to each interaction and the client in front of me feels that.

No matter what the topic is, I want to show my empathy and compassion to the speaker. And I want to hold my heart open to hope for change, even when I'm hearing that the person has been suffering for a very long time.

Let's see when the referrals start and I'll jump on into the deep end!

No comments:

Post a Comment